Friday, December 11, 2015

TGIF

Most teachers will agree that this is a challenging time of year to teach. There are many holidays and a lot of excitement . There are also a lot of vacations, concerts, celebrations and other events that interrupt typical routines. In Special Education, I am learning just how challenging these changes can be.

This week, almost all the staff and half my students were sick.

This means there was a lot of missed school and change in routine for many of my students (and myself). Today I came back after being out sick for two days. Two of my three aids were out sick today. Many of my students missed atleast one day this week as well.

Some students struggle more with change than others. One of my students spit in and slapped my face today. Another kicked a ball at me. The others, gave me a hug and were happy to have me back.

There have also been a lot of events lately that add some anxiety and fear.  I teach elementary school, but my kids still hear about what is happening in the world. At school, we need to make sure we practice what we would do in emergency situations (this happens regularly, but after an event some students and adults are more sensitive). I must say, even though it messed up some of our schedule, I'm proud of my kids. They handled our drill really well today and transitioned back into their schedules after. 

I'm still recovering, I'm not 100% on my game; I have a stash of tissues, a sore throat and a mild headache. I'm tired and I will probably take a nap after I finish this post. I am thankful it's Friday, because my body needs rest. Mentally I feel good (despite being slapped in the face), but physically I'm tired. Being sick and being present and positive in the classroom is really difficult. It takes a lot of work.

Time for some ZzZz's

No comments:

Post a Comment